Our Fees – Employment claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal
FEES CHARGED BY TFG
FACTORS THAT COULD AFFECT COSTS
WHAT IS INCLUDED
Fees Charged By Tait Farrier Graham
Legal fee *
* basis of charging = hourly rate £175 based on 23-46 hours to complete the work.
Fees Payable To Third Parties
ESTIMATED TOTAL FEES
Work included and key stages
The precise work and stages involved in defending an unfair or wrongful dismissal claim vary according to the circumstances. If the claim involves allegations of discrimination the amount of work is likely to be greater and a specific estimate should be sough once all of the issues have been identified. The work itself is very intensive as the timescale from the start of the Tribunal proceedings to final hearing are relatively short and are typically about 6 months. However, we have set out the key stages involved in a typical claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation.
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached.
- Preparing your response.
- Reviewing and advising on the claim from the other party.
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process.
- Considering a schedule of loss.
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing.
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents.
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses.
- Preparing bundles of documents.
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements.
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list.
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel.
Our service will not include any of the following:
- Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal.
Approximate/ average timescales
The time that it takes from your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take X – X weeks/ months. If the claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 10-18 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as your case progresses.
Factors that could increase costs
In some circumstances we may increase our fees to account for additional time, work or skill required to meet your instructions. Examples include:
- If it is necessary to defend applications to amended claims or provide further information about an existing claim.
- If we defend a costs application.
- If there are complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties).
- The number of witnesses and documents.
- If there is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if the person has been dismissed after blowing the whistle on their employer.
- If there are allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal.
Qualifications and experience of our team
Employment matters are dealt with by Philip Shepherd who has over 10 years’ experience.
Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by Suzanne Todd
A copy of the information above can be downloaded here.
Our Employment Law Specialists
Let’s Work Together
73 Adelaide Terrace
Phone : 0191 272 3713
16 Regent Terrace
Phone : 0191 490 0108